Wednesday, May 24, 2006

These Vagabond Shoes....

Let me just preface this blog by saying...how did I get wrapped up in this situation?? Moving around like a homeless woman? What kind of sideways adventure has my husband conned me into? I realize back in the day Kyle flew to London with nothing but a suitcase and no place to live. But that's when Kyle was taking care of Kyle. Now there's a Lori in the mix and somehow I got suctioned into the vortex that is my husband's wacky lifestyle....but so be it....I am amused and I am spreading my wings....like a mighty eagle....(but I am not bald, let me clarify)
Now to the story:

The vagabond gig is up!! We made our FINAL move last night and are now in residence at our REAL summer sublet! I spent yesterday evening packing up our stuff. Kyle got off work around 11 PM so that's when we made the move. We had made it at our temporary place without seeing any of the neighbors these past few days. Which is perfect because I don't like looking shady and a woman carrying all sorts of suitcases and bags up and down the elevator 4 or 5 times just looks like Shadyville, Population: 1 (that would be me). So last night just as I was moving out our stuff the neighbor across the hall came home at the same time....BUSTED! I really didn't want to explain why I was making 5 trips in and out of the apartment to line our stuff up in the lobby. Thankfully, he didn't seem to care even though by appearance it seemed as though I was wiping his neighbor's apartment clean....but whatever....

However I'm not sure if I would rather trade one more night in the creaky, rickety strange-noise apartment or being driven to the new apartment by a crazy, and I mean CRAZY!, driver. Kyle's company orders a car service to drive him home if he has to work late (which will probably be every day). So last night the car driver that brought him home also moved our stuff to the new place and I believe this driver came in on the first bus from Wackyville. I guess we were a good combo.....the lone resident of Wackyville driving the lone resident of Shadyville (and her husband) the heck outta Dodge! It was like we were in a terrifying real life video game. He kept jerking the wheel around and making bizarre lane changes. It was scariest when we were in the tunnels....more than once I thought we were going to ram the sides of the tunnel. And who goes 40 MPH down a tight one lane street with cars parked on either side?! Let me count the opportunities for disaster.....oh, wait I don't have that many fingers.

Kyle and I were genuinely frightened for our lives and I hope that driver never ever drives Kyle home from work again.....EVER! I've ridden in NYC taxi cabs and this was 10 times worse. There was something wrong with this dude. But we did make it home safely only to freak out because we had 4 keys and none of them seemed to open the front door of the apartment. A situation that I could have done without at this point in the story. After all it's past midnight now and key problems aren't making the Lori happy. I did not get this far to sleep in the hallway of some old brownstone with 20 bags around me. But we finally figured out the locks and all was fine in Casa de Bethancourt. Today I am super tired and praying that Kyle has lots of energy because we barely got enough sleep last night with the whole fiasco.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin