Monday, October 31, 2005

Hey! Are You Union?

SEPTA is the public transportation system here in Philly. The union workers of SEPTA decided to go on strike today. This left Kyle and I no option but to hoof it to school/work.

Click here for the exiting news story

It didn't really affect me since I normally take the bus TO work only because I am perpetually running late. When I leave work I always walk home. Kyle, however, had to face a 35 minute walk to campus. I think he split a cab fare with other students to get back home. I hope this strike doesn't last long because it's kind of annoying. At least the weather isn't so cold once the sun comes out of hiding.

I wasn't prepared for the big dose of whimsy I received upon arriving at work. As I sat at my desk I saw a big flash of orange out of the corner of my eye. The owner of the Phila architecture firm was wearing an oversized poncho/sweater combo topped with a loose black scarf imprinted with metallic orange moons and stars and (I do not lie) a 3 foot tall pointy black wizard hat with, you guessed it, more moons/stars on it. She was conducting meetings, huddling with staff, and discussing her latest client presentation with me all as if she were your everyday run-of-the-mill resident wizard. It was pretty funny because I overheard her and her husband (who is also a partner at the firm) conversing very seriously about this presentation and I glanced over and thought about how much talent it must take to talk seriously with a pointy 3 foot hat on.

Kyle went to the apartment leasing office to cash in on our $50 cookie. Apparently the building manager randomly asks people in the elevator if they have a chocolate chip cookie and awards them $50 if they give him one (I know, sounds really bizarre and I probably should have played the lotto that night with that kind of luck). He tells Kyle that management is trying to keep people happy because we're having to put up with renovation & scaffolding in the lobby and super-double-duper sloooow elevators. I could write a small novel in the time it takes the elevator to make it to the 37th floor where we are. It really is frustrating so, now that I think of it, yeah! we deserve that $50!

I've always heard people say you start to take on characteristics of your spouse the longer you're married. I (scarily) noticed how close I got to that this weekend when I found myself happily enjoying a good 20 minutes of one of Kyle's preferred TV shows featuring none other than midget wrestling. Oh, help me! Did I just say that?! I do not find wrestling to be as entertaining as Kyle but somehow Kyle and I bonded over this midget wrestling. I found myself intrigued and disgusted at how these little people could look so tough, be so mean, and have so many tiny muscles? It all was a bit surreal....

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin