Friday, November 21, 2008

John the Communicator

Editor's Note: Well apparently my brain is disconnected. I just noticed I stopped and published my post mid-sentence. It is complete now.

Ok, as promised I will share about John. As he approaches his 18 month mark he is starting to be quite a loquacious fellow and he loves to mimic anything you say. Its lovely and scary at the same time.

I'm trying to teach him about sharing and we practice this most mornings at breakfast. After cereal Mommy and John share yogurt. Mommy's turn (mommy holds the yogurt and eats a spoonful). John's turn (John holds the yogurt and eats a spoonful). I hear a lot of "Nooo! Nooo!" but we press on. After breakfast the other day I was cleaning up and John was playing with toys and all of the sudden he comes running up to me with two trucks yelling "Sha! Sha! Sha!" It took me a moment to realize he was saying "share" and he gave me the trucks. I made a BIG deal about this and said thank you over and over but we regressed at the Children's Museum yesterday when John refused to share anything with Baby Luke. Thankfully 4 month old Baby Luke was very forgiving. Baby steps.

The other day I was holding him and I dropped something and said "OH MAN!" And all of the sudden I hear my little guy exclaim "ah may!"

One of the cutest things he says is please. He always says it like he's asking a question though so it sounds like "peesh?" We've also been working on thank you and today I was at Target holding my coupon book. He looked at me and said "peesh?" so I gave it to him and he automatically, unprompted said "da dow" (which is thank you). That was a first because I normally have to nudge him to say thank you but he did it on his own. I was pretty amazed at this.

We've also been practicing saying hello to strangers in public. For the past few weeks anytime we'd see a new person John would violently shake his head while waving them away and saying "NO!". So whenever I started unbuckling him from his car seat and we were about to enter a public place I would say "John let's say Hello to people. Hello, how are you? Hello! My name is John!" Well, we were at the mall the other day and as we entered every store he said hello REPEATEDLY to everyone and anyone that would possibly listen to him. It was a great departure from the "No! No!" and looks of terror he was giving everyone before. Now we're the other extreme....forcefully polite....if that's possible??

So, all these little things are so fun to witness as he gets older. I just can't believe that a month ago he maybe had 5 words and now words seems to be exploding from everywhere. I had to write down these little instances so I could remember our first weeks of communication.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin