Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Anna Goes Granola

Kyle and I have mused before that Anna has been plagued with a host of "cosmetic maladies". The latest is the mysterious eczema on her legs and arms and parts of her teeny weeny petite little torso.

I've been using all hypo-allergenic soaps on her since she was born and I slather her in Aveeno Natural Baby Lotion every day with no results. I finally called the doctor when I couldn't take seeing the backs of her knees so raw and red. They told me to use HydroCortisone cream....but not to use it more than 5 days in a row because it is a steroid and very powerful. Well I did use it for 3 days and the dryness initially cleared up within 24 hours but now that I've stopped using it the eczema is back. I was searching online for some natural remedies so I don't have to continue with the harsh chemicals in the HydroCortisone. One thing I am going to do is go back to washing her clothes separately in Dreft. Also, there was lots of praise for some Burt's Bees products so here is the arsenal for her new all natural beauty regiment.

Do they make baby Birkenstock sandals...maybe I could make her some hemp clothes too?? give her a mood ring, maybe?

With all the oils and lotions she wears she tends to look all oiled up like those freaky body builders...but it seems to be helping a bit....

Anyways, continuing on the natural, organic path...yesterday I grew a wild hair and decided to make some baby food for the lady. I really didn't think I was going to have the energy to do this with Anna. I was very gung-ho and made all of John's food when he started eating and it gave me great satisfaction to make all of his little ice cube trays of food. Well, the things you do for your children....yesterday I sacrificed 3 hours of my precious time to steam/roast, puree, and freeze 6 ice cube trays of sweet potatoes, butternut squash, plums, peaches, and pears for my baby princess. I realize this isn't for everyone but I'm glad I did it and it makes me happy to see my bags of cubed food in the auxillary freezer (HOLLA! give it up for freeza #2!!) . At the rate Anna is eating I think I have enough for about a month....maybe even 6 weeks.


5 comments:

shannonmichaelis said...

i had eczema for 14 years. talk to my buddy tracy - her 1st child had it a long time and they found some great products to use after the bacth, etc.

jaclyn peschke said...

hey Lori! your blog is so cute. :) we have really loved Arbonne baby products for our little guy (super sensitive and smell good!). hope you're doing well! :) jaclyn

The Bethancourts said...

Poor little Anna! I know that it's annoying to have to fight those skin issues, but hopefully something will work for you. Give her a kiss from us and we are going to see you in just a couple of weeks! YEah!

Cheryl said...

Why yes, they do have baby birkenstock! Here, in the land of Colorado (Boulder specifically), all the children wear them. I even think you may be able to get a little dread lock out of Anna's head....

http://www.oliebollen.com/detail.aspx?ID=12118

Cheryl said...

Have you tried mustela products? We've been using them on Magali and she hasn't had any skin problem,even with the super dry weatheer of CO. She hasn't even had one single hint of a diaper rash and all of her Milias went away right after we started using their products.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin