Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The Unexpected Meltdown

John's First Day of School!!!!!!

We showed up at John's classroom this morning, I dropped him off and he started crying which I expected since we leave him in the church nursery every Sunday and he does the same. As I was headed to my car two of the other moms I knew asked if I was ok and right there I had my unexpected meltdown. I just started bawling and I'm not sure what came over me. It's not like I've never left John anywhere before?? I think it was all just so OFFICIAL. His classroom, the little cubbies for their backpacks, the prinicpal standing outside, the older kids coming in wearing backpacks as large as they were. I was overwhelmed. It didn't help that John was still crying a bit when I last peeked in to check on him. So the other mommies encouraged me with hugs and kind words, my other friend, Leslie, drove by in time to witness the meltdown and said she had just dropped off her son and John was just sitting in the corner with the teacher reading a book and she assured me he was fine and wasn't still crying.


So I spent some of my free morning at Kroger. On my way home from Kroger I casually drove by the school (4 times!) because I knew it was playground time and they would be outside where I could see them. I had to laugh because John was standing at a sand box with some other kids completely fine and looking so cute out on the playground. My man was on his own.

When I picked him up his teacher said that he did just fine. She noted that he really likes to read books (which we definitely know) and he actually took a nap at nap time. This really surprised me because John is not one to nap with distractions but he was one of the first to fall asleep. I guess the big first day must have been really exhausting! Can't wait for Thursday!

2 comments:

Emily Kelley said...

You'll be okay :( And when you learn how to handle this, you can consle me when it's Rusty's first day at school!

The Bethancourts said...

Oh the big moments...and the unexpected meltdowns. You are a wonderful mom and I'm so glad we're related!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin