The above picture is of a little light house Kyle and I visited around sunset on Friday evening, our first evening in Newport. It was a little difficult to get to but we finally found a foot path leading to the light house. Our short trek from the car to the lighthouse had all the makings of a scary movie. Walking through brush......near dusk......on a muddy path. I felt that at any moment that creature the townspeople of the movie "The Village" were all scared of was going to come busting out of the woods and kill us. Thankfully, there was no beast and we enjoyed a nice sunset.
Newport is where a lot of the early-century big shots built their summer "cottages" here on the edge of the east coast. Our favorite "cottage" (160,000 square feet) we toured was The Breakers built by the Vanderbilt family as their summer retreat. The scale of the home was so huge it was unimaginable to me that people lived there. It looked like a museum! Here is a picture of the gate in front of the house .....
And the back of the house---the view that faces the amazing ocean and back yard

Can I just say this backyard is a 7 yr old Lori dream....I mean, consecutive cartwheels for a 1/4 mile?! Need I say more?
Kyle & I met up with our friends, Dee & Chris, on Saturday to tour the mansions and the 4 of us spent the afternoon walking along a pedestrian trail called Cliff Walk that runs along the top of the cliffs on the shoreline behind all these magnificent mansions . It was really fun to visit with them and enjoy the beautiful day. We even got a nice 60 degrees that day to enjoy nature! Kyle and Chris were very adventurous and decided to climb the rocks down to the water to explore. Dee & I, being women of discernment, stayed a safe distance behind so as not to be washed upon the rocks. Kyle's adventure to the Atlantic Ocean was most exciting since he proclaimed he had been to both the Pacific & Atlantic coasts in one week. An amazing feat, indeed.

Happy St. Patrick's Day from Newport, Rhode Island!

No comments:
Post a Comment