Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Mystery Noise

So a few nights ago I was startled awake suddenly at 3 AM by a weird noise. As soon as I woke up I noticed Kyle was up too opening doors and looking around. I asked him what he was doing. He said he heard a "ringing noise". It was the same noise that woke me up too. We got up and looked all over the room, the bathroom, and our closet for the source of this strange noise.

It sounded like an electronic humming at just the right frequency to be annoying but not neccessarily loud. We decided that maybe the two video monitors on my nightstand were causing some sort of feedback. We turned off the monitors. Still heard the noise. We moved the monitors to the bathroom. Still heard the noise. We unplugged both monitors from the wall. Still heard the noise.

For an hour this noise plagued us. It would turn on then turn off suddenly then turn on again. It was really spooky and I was thankful this wasn't happening while Kyle was away on a business trip because I may have just lost my mind.

Well, we never found out what the source was and about an hour later as we were finally drifting off to sleep I was in a state of half asleep/half awake and was startled again by something that sounded like someone shaking a spray paint can in the living room. Like a rattling of some sort. Kyle jolted exactly when I did so I knew it wasn't just me hearing this. I immediately was trying to remember if I had left a spray paint can outside that a cat might have knocked over but I came to the conclusion that my spray paint cans were all safely inside the garage.

So we haven't heard the noise the past two nights but I am still so confused by what that humming noise could have been? The only other electronic things in our room are the alarm clock and our cell phones but we have always kept them in our room and never heard this noise.

So that was a rough night. So much for Anna finally starting to sleep 12 hour stretches at night. The kids were sleeping fine but I was up almost all night due to the mystery noise.

Hopefully that's the end of the story and the noise will never some back. I could live with that.

1 comment:

The Bethancourts said...

Could it be something in the air vents? Something to do with the TV left on? A smoke detector hum? Or maybe it's just the humming of Nutella beckoning you to go buy some at the store!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin