Thursday, September 09, 2010

1st Day of School 2010

When I signed Anna up for Mother's Day Out in February it was hard to believe that my 11 month old (who wasn't even walking at this point) would be headed to "school" with John in the fall. Now it's September and here they go....
**sniff**sniff**



Not sure how John looks like a 4 year old in this picture?! He is seriously not that big...this is his picture from last year. What a baby! This year he just looks like a really BIG boy to me


And someone is a teeny-weeny bit too excited about school for me...hmmmm

The official report from the teachers is that "John had a great first day!" I had a feeling he would love it when he walked in his new classroom without a second look back and I had to remind him for a kiss good-bye (because I can still do that since he's 3!). Anna had a hard time at drop off but the teachers said she got much better as the day went on. Mrs. Gehman reported that Anna was crying on the playground and since John's class playground time overlapped with Anna's class he went over  to console her and played around where she was and she stopped crying. Sweet brother!
On another note, Anna is modeling one of the dresses I made for her. I went on a dress making frenzy this past week. All of the sudden I realized that Anna didn't really have many casual-type school dresses so I went into overdrive to make a few. I have so much pretty fabric that I really needed to do something with it already!

I finished this little pinafore dress last night. LOVE this dress AND it's reversible AND it is sooo stinkin' easy to make! Here is the back.

The reverse is a pretty red with tiny white polka dots...

Appliques are my new favorite thing so I had to add a big ol' A


So in true Lori fashion I finished the dress the day before and it's long enough to wear with some of her existing bloomers or legging but it does open in the back if she bends over and I wanted her to have some more "coverage", ya know? So I debated....do I make bloomers? Let me be clear: I've never EVER EVER made or attempted to make anything closely resembling bloomers or pants and Anna is asleep so she can't try them on for fit. Do I do this?
At 9 PM the answer is no, at 10 PM I freak out and decide I MUST do this. It's a first day of school outfit. It must be perfect and complete in every way. I grabbed an existing pair of her bloomers as a guide, stared and stared, drew a half-cocked pattern and muddled my way through. 45 minutes later I had this!

I can't believe I'd never attempted bloomers. They're not bad. And after school she wore them around as shorts with a white t-shirt. Look out....Bloomer City

1 comment:

shannonmichaelis said...

Love all your posts! LOVE this dress - didn't realize her new school outfit was made by her mama! If I ever have a girl (or two) I want to learn how to do that...I think.

Still laughed out loud at the faces with paint - so horrific~

Will edit Galveston pix soon so you can have them. Took enough to call it a weekend!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin