One of our outings in Telluride was fly fishing. Kyle has always wanted to do this and I thought it would be fun to try it too. I am not a big fisherwoman, nor do I like to touch slimy fish all that much but I remember seeing the movie A River Runs Through It and thinking how beautiful the scenery was and how peaceful and elegant fly fishing appeared so I gave it a whirl at my man's side.
Our guide, William, took us out for a 1/2 day. We went to some really nice spots and my pictures don't really do it justice. I only took my little point and shoot camera which fit inside the chest pocket of my stylish waders. I didn't want to dredge my 5 lbs of awesome into the river and risk dropping it. boo :(
So, first off, the waders and boots are the most hideous garments I've ever put on my body but I was glad to be wearing them when I was shin-deep in a cold rushing river. William gave us a quick tutorial on form and basics and we headed in. Kyle got some fishies in the first spot and I got one--my big 14" rainbow trout. Beginners luck. That thing was strong! Then I hit a dry spell.
Dear William decided to risk my life in order to get me in a spot where I was SURE to catch something. We were crossing the river over slippery rocks and the current was soooo fast it was hard to stay balanced. I almost ate it but recovered quickly after letting out a girly scream. Kyle was way downstream witnessing the event from still waters and later confessed he thought I was a goner but curiously didn't make any moves to come rescue me. He was enjoying his "experience" in peaceful bliss downstream.
The only casualty for me was one wet shirt sleeve. Not bad. If I had my monster camera it could have easily perished. Carry on, Kyle! (he's waaay down the river in this picture)
My fly fishing adventure involved hooking a tree, the guide, and myself. I also managed to "lasso" a fish (which I think is so appropriate seeing that I'm a Texas gal). The story on that: While William was with Kyle I caught a fish by myself. I was reeling it in and for a split second thought I would get all Pioneer Woman up in here and rip that hook out myself so I could keep fishing instead of waiting for William to help me. Then I remembered fish are slimy and weird and have eyes so I released my Pioneer Woman fantasies and instead just let the fish flop until William came back. When he got to it he realized there was no hook in the fish it was just wrapped around the line several times. weird.
So at the end of the trip we each caught 6 fish. I got a big one but Kyle got what they call a "slam", at least one of each fish: brown trout, rainbow trout, and a brook.
He actually enjoyed it so much that he went out the next day with the guide (minus me) and during this fly fishing excursion they witnessed a snake eating a fish.
Thankfully I was not present.
*shiver*shiver* YUCK!



1 comment:
Fly fishing - Derek's dream! So impressed by the outdoorsey Lori - it all looks beautiful, snakes and all!
Post a Comment