Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Spring Fever!

Kyle and I have officially been diagnosed.....

I now realize why people up here get so excited about Spring. It becomes the topic of conversation that the trees and flowers are blooming. Never really paid attention to this in Houston but here it's like a little gift to see flowers fighting to come up out of the ground and being able to wear sandals again. All you want is to be outside and enjoy the mild temperature.

I was definitely feeling on edge yesterday so after work Kyle and I took a much needed break, grabbed a Rita's and walked aaaalllll the way down to Penn's Landing (at the Delaware River) which is a good mile and a half from our apartment. We explored the historic area called Old City and meandered through the cobblestone streets of Society Hill (this is where the older homes of Delancey Street are). The oldest homes (probably in the whole nation) are in these neighborhoods. Almost every house has a plaque by the door or in the window that tells who built the house and who lived there. The oldest house we saw was built in the 1730s! That's before the signing of the Constitution! We happened upon the former home of President James and Dolly Madison. What's so funny is that you can see inside the homes and regular people live in them now and most of them are updated very nicely. It's still a very prestigous part of town (as it was then) but it is also makes you feel like you've stepped back in time. There are horse drawn carriages trotting down the street giving rides so it really does feel like another era.

I was disappointed that I didn't have my camera because the flowers and trees that lined the streets made the scene even more quaint. I am disappointed it has taken us so long to discover this area but I'm glad we know about it now. We'll just have to take more evening walks. Needless to say, I was zonked when we came home 2 hours later. I still had some studying to do for my architecture exam and I was fighting to keep my eyes open.

Here's a good link about Society Hill

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin