The last time I attempted to eat crawfish I was middle school-age visiting my friend, Veronica's, family in New Orleans. They mentioned that crawfish was on the menu for dinner. Being a well-mannered 11/12 year old I agreed whole-heartedly. However, I was unprepared for the scenario that awaited me. When her father and grandfather returned with 2 or 3 brown paper bags they proceeded to dump the mud bugs on the table and everyone just started ripping the members off them and eating 'em up and talking about sucking the brains out. I think I almost fainted. To make matters worse, not even 2 weeks before this incident we had dissected crawfish in science class and had to take each appendage apart, place it on a board, and label them. The trauma of a science project colliding with a meal was so severe I have not touched crawfish since then.
I faced the neighborhood crawfish boil as a chance to reconcile with the little buggers. I did give it a good effort. I grabbed the crawfish, I ripped and twisted the legs off but the green goo that came out just made me recoil. I could not even take one bite BUT I enjoyed the fellowship and atmosphere of the event. The kids loved the bounce house and John loved helping our neighbor, Drew, "prepare" the crawfish for their destiny.
The kids were so interested in these little guys
EWWWWW!!!!!
Attempting to pick one up...
Bounce house fun!
Strike a pose!
I can't stand this outfit....and her hands on her hips....SO stinkin' cute! and the sandals! Mercy.

No comments:
Post a Comment