Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I Am Back With A Bang!

About a year ago, I was faithful in attending a strength training class every other day at the YMCA. Then I got pregnant and the sickness really made me recoil at the thought of going to this class to do the weights and intense exercises so I took a brief....er, one year.....hiatus....

My original plan today was to just do 30 minutes on the elliptical in the gym and be done with it but it was crowded and there were no ellipticals available and I didn't want a treadmill. I realized I was actually there in time for my old class. Let's give 'er a whirl, I thought!

So I went down to the class and realized that on Wednesdays she offers the more extreme version of the class. A little more intensity, a little more cardio. I had done it before so I wasn't intimidated until I saw the instructor laying out different stations, each with all sorts of contraptions. I asked the teacher if this was going to be difficult since I hadn't done her mild version of the class in a while. She looked at me with a wild-eyed stare and mumbled something unintelligible and then never answered me directly. OK. Well, how bad could it be? I was here so I was going to do it.

Then she started to show us what we would be doing at each station and in between. Let's just say that after 5 minutes of jogging in place and doing double count jumping jacks I thought my heart was going to pump out of my body. YIKES. What was I thinking? This ol' gal needs to get back into shape but I think I'll start out going to the milder version of the class for now.

A random story about John. Today I was at the kitchen gathering dishes after dinner and making some smoothies for the fam to enjoy for dessert. As I was flittering about the kitchen John is watching me and says, "Mommy working too hard!" I turned to him quite amazed at his on-the-spot observation and said "Yes! Mommy is working too hard! You are right! I do all of this catering to and for you and what do I get in return?" No, I'm kidding, I didn't say that last part......

But then I realized that he had just put 2 of his phrases together. "Mommy working" because I was in the kitchen doing stuff. And whenever anyone is doing anything John calls it "working". And then "too hard" because I was trying to open the smoothie pouch and I guess I was struggling a bit. So what came out sounding like an empathetic statement about the general state of motherhood was really just a mashing together of two toddler phrases. Oh well. I WAS and continue to be working too hard and don't you forget it, Johnny B!

1 comment:

shannonmichaelis said...

i despise major tone-up. i make sure i never show up at 9:30am on a wednesday at the y for a reason!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin