Thursday, June 04, 2009

Coming Up For Air

Well, well...here I am again. It's been a busy week with school being out. John and I have been doing swim lessons this week. It's been challenging since our mornings are tied up with swim lessons, then we eat lunch, John naps, and when John wakes up Anna is going down for her third nap of the day. So this week I really haven't had time to do much of anything outside the house.

A few days ago Debbie came over and I took the opportunity to do a marathon grocery store run where I spent an hour and a half wandering the aisles of the illustrious and eminent HEB. It'll be nice when John starts summer MDO next week so I can plan to do some things I desperately need to do around the house.....or just rest.....because the man sure keeps me busy.

So I've been thinking a lot about my new life as a mother of two. Everyone asks how things are going having two kids. Before I had John I was so sad to think that my little baby John was going to be dumped by the wayside and not get the attention he usually enjoyed because this newborn was going to demand all my attention....HA!

In fact, surprisingly, Anna is the one that seems to get shafted on the attention-o-meter because my big baby demands so much constant attention. Most days it seems that the little lady just gets her bare necessities squeezed in between tasks for my other day job--entertaining John/fixing meals/cleaning up/making phone calls/doing laundry. As long as Anna is fed, she is usually fending for herself in the entertainment department most of the day.

Kyle and I were commenting that she seems to be fussier than John until I had a lightbulb moment and realized that she isn't fussier than John. She's actually a pleasant, happy, lovable, cuddly baby. And probably just about the same temperment as John. It just so happens that she has learned at this young age to be quite vocal when it comes to her face time with mommy and daddy. Usually when she's upset we find that if you just pick her up she is eager to smile, coo, and socialize with whoever is holding her. So maybe this sounds horrible---like I don't ever hold her or do anything with her all day. Not true at all but compared the amount of time I spent with John (y'all remember the 100s of pictures I took on a daily basis--back in the day that little guy couldn't escape my attention if he was Houdini) I'm really noticing how much my attention is divided.

So I'm just learning to juggle it all and I'm enjoying doing it. John changes so much every day and the things he says and does are priceless entertainment for Kyle and I and anyone else around. I'm savoring every moment. And Anna is just so precious and cuddly that I can't wait to see her every morning. I'm making sure I take the time to smell her baby hair and skin and enjoy that little tiny face of hers before she grows up too much. My two little loves sure keep me busy but I think we're settling into our routine just fine!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin